Perched at 3,600 feet (1,100 metres) on the top of the Kalama Mountains with a view of Northern Kenya which extends to snow-covered Mount Kenya, Saruni Samburu is built on land owned by the Kalama Wildlife Conservancy in a 240,000 acres ranch. Saruni has exclusive rights for game viewing in the Conservancy, and game drives also take place in Samburu Game Reserve, which is within a 20 minutes drive, and where you have the Uaso Nyiro River and abundant wildlife.
In the Conservancy there are frequent sightings of elephant, the Samburu 5(reticulated giraffe, gerenuk, zebra, Somali ostrich and Beisa oryx), lion seen 6 days out of 7 on average, leopard and there is a pack of 20 wild dogs roaming in the area. There is a popular water hole below the lodge, and game migrates between Kalama and Samburu, Shaba and Buffalo Springs Game Reserves.
The traditions and semi-nomadic heritage of the local Samburu people are an important part of the experience. Led by professional Samburu guides, guests enjoy the feeling of exclusivity, of having an incredibly large area totally to themselves, and a high level of comfort and attentive service.
Saruni faces south west towards Mount Kenya, and the views are more than spectacular, as the escarpment falls hundreds of feet below the accommodation; sheer drops!
You can see for miles, and at night you see no lights.
Game drives are by open 4 x 4 land rover, and other activities include
- Bush walks
- Fly camping
- Sundowners and boma with star gazing
- Bush dinners
- Cultural visits to Samburu manyatta, school etc
The lodge facilities include 2 infinity pools; one in the Main Area and the other on top of the hill...quite a climb!
- Large lounge bar and dining on the terrace
- Communal or separate dining options
- Cigar bar
- 24/7 power and hot water
- Free wifi
- Free laundry
The accommodation comprises a cluster of 5 villas built along the escarpment with stunning views.
- 3 villas have 2 bedrooms and 2 villas have 1 bedroom
- Whilst bedrooms are not identical, all generally have a large double bed, a verandah, a fridge, safe, yoga mats, and an en suite with a walk in power shower, His and Hers wash basins, bidet, wc, an outside shower built in rocks, and a walk in dressing rooms. Each villa has a separate lounge.
- All except 3 bedrooms en suite have a bath tub
- Villa number 1 is on the ground floor and is suitable for families and for those with restricted mobility, as Saruni otherwise involves steps.
Saruni Samburu has its own private airstrip near the Kalama Wildlife Conservancy headquarters, but it is also easily served by the scheduled airlines that land at nearby Buffalo Springs airstrip.