Singita Kataza House
Singita Kataza House and Kwitonda Lodge provide a contemplative, nurturing space in which to appreciate the transformative experience of coming face to face with the forest’s gentle giants.
For most guests, a gorilla trek is at the top of their list when they visit Rwanda and a stay at Singita Kataza House or Kwitonda Lodge allows them the privilege to encounter one of Africa’s most majestic and gentle creatures in the wild, while immersed in the beauty of their pristine natural habitat.
The distance of each gorilla trek is varied, so depending on which family group guests are allocated, the duration is anywhere from a couple of hours to a full day. Meals and lodge activities are flexible around each trek.
As children under the age of 15 are unable to participate in gorilla-treks, they will be cared for at the lodge with a variety of supervised activities and educational opportunities on offer.
Rwanda can be visited at any time of the year and gorilla trekking is a year-round activity. The average temperature at Singita Kwitonda Lodge and Kataza House is approximately 15 degrees Celsius, although humidity can be high.
Suggested Clothing and Gear:
- For trekking one should have: boots with good grip, gators, gloves, waterproof jacket, thick socks, thick pants to protect against stinging nettles, long sleeved tops.
- For the lodge one should have: pants, long sleeve tops, t-shirts, a warm layer for the evenings, closed shoes, a swimming costume.
- Comfortable walking shoes/track shoes/hiking boots for walks.
Clothing and Gear Available for Use:
We have a variety of technical gear and clothing for our guests to use during their stay at Singita Kwitonda and Kataza House. The items are all designed for outdoor hiking and wet weather, perfectly suited for trekking to see gorillas or other animals in Rwanda. Backpacks including a waterproof rain cover for backpack (camera equip)
- Mens and ladies waterproof jackets with a removable inner fleece lining and hood
- Mens and ladies water-resistant hiking pants
- Hiking chaps in two sizes (gators)
- Hiking poles with extendable options and grips
- Gloves for use during hiking to protect hands from thorns and mud
- Trekking lunch boxes which will hold freshly made lunches chosen by the guests – all eco-friendly packaging
- Singita water bottle
Golden Monkey Trekking
Guests, including children, can participate in the Golden monkey treks as children under the age of 15 are unable to participate in gorilla-treks.
The Kwitonda Nursery tour
This features Singita's farm-to-table journey - a sensory experience filled with informative, interactive elements that’s all about a sustainable approach that benefits the community and celebrates seasonal produce.
Guests have the option to explore the local cuisine by participating in cookery classes that are conducted by expert chefs. Both adults and children are welcome to participate in cooking classes.
World-class wine tasting
Guests can participate in a private, world-class wine tasting that is hosted in a private wine room at the property.
Visit to the Kigali Genocide Memorial Museum
Guests are offered the opportunity to explore Rwanda by going on day tours exploring Kigali. The day tours include visits to the Genocide Memorial.
Local market tours
Guests are offered the opportunity to explore Rwanda by going on day tours exploring the local markets of Kigali.