SOSSUSVLEI EXCURSION SUNDOWNER DRIVE
• Drive to the Sossusvlei dunes in a safari 4x4 vehicle accompanied by a Guide with in-depth knowledge of the area
• Departure seasonally, depending on national park opening hours. Activity is possible in the early morning or afternoon ( in the morning preferably for photography – departing before sunrise. In the afternoon preferably for experiencing the dunes more in private, fewer visitors will be there)
• Minimum of 2 guests or single supplement applicable; small groups only (maximum of 9 guests per vehicle)
• Activity duration is approx. 1⁄2 a day (approx. 6 – 7 hours)
• Rate includes a picnic in the dunes, guide, water, entrance fees
On the Witwater Wilderness Reserve – 7000 ha.
• A relaxing way to end the day and enjoy beautiful views and a sundowner with drinks and snacks
• Starts in the afternoon, and lasts 2 – 2 1⁄2 hours, departure times change seasonally; guests are back at the lodge just before dinner
• minimum of 2 guests or a single supplement applicable, max. 9 guests per vehicle
• opportunity to come face to face with the nature of the Namib in a safari 4x4 vehicle
• Includes sundowner drinks and snacks
OTHER ACTIVITIES IN THE AREA
• Quad biking
• Hot air ballooning
• Scenic flights
The staff at Desert Homestead Lodge and Desert Homestead Outpost will be happy to organize all activities of other providers in the area.
An employee of the lodges informs the guests in detail about the start and departure times, depending on the season, as well as about meeting points, equipment, clothes etc. of the activities of the next day during the dinner.
For participation in afternoon activities, check-in is necessary until 2 pm. In the case of a later arrival, it is not possible to guarantee a performance or attendance due to the different start times.
NAMIB DESERT ON HORSEBACK
EXPERIENCE THE NAMIB
DESERT ON HORSEBACK
For the more adventurous of spirit, Desert Homestead Lodge offers a unique experience where guests can ride out onto the private reserve and sleep out in nature. The reserve is situated in between the majestic red sand sea of the Namib Desert and the rugged Naukluft mountains.
Leaving the stables and lodge behind, an unforgettable journey set off through wide open plains riding over a varied terrain changing from soft, sandy, stretched open fields, to rockier mountain trails, through dry riverbeds, under social weavers nests and around camelthorn trees.
The experienced guide will eagerly tell more about the environment, fauna and flora. Riders are almost guaranteed to come across a herd or two of grazing Oryx, springbok, or Zebra and some varieties of smaller carnivores, such as Jackal and bat-eared foxes.
Riding takes place at a comfortable pace so that everyone feels comfortable. Slower riders can hang back while more experienced riders go for long stretched-out gallops over grassy plains while winding the way towards the tented Camp, where refreshments await for a truly remarkable sundowner with magnificent views. After watching the sunset over the majestic mountains it’s time to kick off the boots, relax and enjoy the Namibian night skies. While Dinner gets ready on the campfire true Namibian style a refreshing shower awaits.
Dinner is served next to the crackling fire whilst conversation is sure to revert to the days riding. Then it’s time to retire to the comfortable tent or even a stretcher outside, for those who prefer to sleep out in nature under starry skies to get some rest before the next day’s riding.
Riders will wake up the next morning to the smell of coffee brewing and bacon and eggs cooking over an open fire while watching the horses being prepared for the next stretch of riding. After a hearty breakfast, it is time to stretch the legs once again and set off on horses who eagerly await the rest of the adventure.