Kayaking in the Sea of Cortez: Coastal Paddle and Snorkel or Balandra Bay Paddle
When it comes to sea kayaking, the place to go is the Sea of Cortez! This UNESCO World Heritage Site is home to 39% of the world's total number of marine mammal species, accounts for a third of the world´s marine cetacean species, and has 891 fish species. The remarkable scenery is formed by a rugged shoreline, desert islands and white sandy beaches where you can admire the contrast and reflection of the desert with turquoise waters.
We have two options for kayaking in the Sea of Cortez:
- Kayaking from Balandra Bay to Pichilingue, with snorkeling and a picnic lunch along the way
- Kayaking in the mangroves and protected waters of Balandra Bay, with a picnic lunch on the beach
During the coastal paddle, we kayak along the coastline, passing 3 rocky islands that house rookeries for blue herons, blue-footed boobies and even a family of sea lions. We then snorkel in great spots accessible only by kayak and have a celebratory lunch. It is great adventure for kayakers of all levels, but some strength and endurance is required.
The Balandra Bay trip is great for paddlers of all skill levels and doesn't require as much strength as the coastal paddle. The Balandra Bay mangroves are home to a great wealth of bird and aquatic life and we take our time so that we can really enjoy the plant and animal life. We then have lunch on a magnificently white beach and enjoy some time swimming in the clear azure waters.
This adventure includes round-trip transportation Todos Santos/La Paz, bilingual naturalist guide who is a certified Wilderness First Responder, home-made picnic lunch, and all necessary permits and equipment. The Sea of Cortez is a 90-minute drive from Todos Santos.
- 2-3 people: US$175/person
- 4 or more people: US$165/person
- Round-trip transportation Todos Santos/La Paz
- Bilingual naturalist guide who is a certified Wilderness First Responder, a NOM-9 graduate and Leave No Trace Certified
- Picnic lunch
- All necessary gear/equipment
- Park permits