The Kahoku-mon gate is one of the three major gates of Kanazawa Castle, along with the Ishikawa-mon gate and the Hashizume-mon gate.

The castle was left in ruins after a major fire consumed most of the buildings in 1759. The Kahoku-mon gate was reconstructed in 1772 and served as the main gate of the castle until it was demolished around 1880. 130 years later in April 2010, after two years of meticulous construction, the gate was restored to its former glory.

The castle is open for viewing every day of the year and admission to the site is free.