- FULL BROCHURE
Enquire about this trip
Highlands Tribes Mt Hagen and Goroka 2018 8 Days (10 Sep 2018 - 17 Sep 2018)
A Papua New Guinea
- We drive 30 minutes from the airport to Magic Mountain Lodge. Village visit
- A full day birdwatching looking for birds of paradise.
B Papua New Guinea
Rooms 1x Asaro Guest House
- Accommodation for two nights is in a lodge built by the Asaro in their village. The Asaro village guest house has twin and double rooms, 24-hour electricity, male and female “long drop” toilets, and rainwater showers. Water can be heated in shower bags for showers.
- Day trip to Mount Akemeku to see the coffee plantation and hike along the Akelmeku River to learn how the people use the land and forests around them to live. We visit to the secret cave and sacrifice site at Mt Guropoka too. We will also visit the Asaro River for a refreshing dip
C Papua New Guinea
Rooms 1x Dr Bones' Klerht Cove Motel
- Today we learn about Asaro traditions, including bride price negotiations, preparing a "mumu" (earth oven). Three sing sing performances, archery practice, mask making demonstration.At the end of the day we leave the Asaro and relocate to our guest house in Goroka town. The guesthouse was built in 2016, has air-conditioned rooms (not at all needed at night, and rarely during the day), and en-suite bathrooms.
- At the end of the day we leave the Asaro and relocate to our guest house in Goroka town. THe guesthouse was built in 2016, has air-conditioned rooms (not at all needed at night, and rarely during the day), and en-suite bathrooms.
- VIP access to the spectacular Highlands Cultural Festival. Up to 150 tribal groups attend to show off their traditional finery in a riot of colour and sound. Tens of thousands of locals come to watch. It is an unforgettable experience. We can take phoros and videos freely all day.
- Second day with VIP access at the Festival. Don't forget to check out the agricultural fair in the bottom field with its splendid orchids and wonderful coffee to taste. Their also a concert and the hilarious greasy pole competition.
Day by Day
back to overview